Gratitude is a daily practice that has the ability to transform your life. Unfortunately, in the hustle and often thoughtless nature of today’s world, practicing gratitude can be an afterthought.
Why should you practice gratitude?
As more people see and feel the power of acknowledgment, science has more incentive to study its effects. Several recorded benefits of daily gratitude practices include:
- boosts immune systems
- improves mental health
- improves relationships
- increases optimism
Furthermore, recent data suggests giving consistent appreciation and attention to positivity can change your brain. Our brains are susceptible to our thought processes. We can choose to unshackle our time and energy from toxic emotions such as resentment, envy, or annoyance.
How to hone your gratefulness skills:
Practicing gratitude can directly affect your mood, but the most transformative benefits come from consistent practice. Here are some practical ways to incorporate gratitude into your daily routine:
- Keep a Gratitude Journal. Taking a few moments in the morning or at night to recall moments of gratitude allows you to incorporate a theme of gratefulness into your everyday life.
- Say thank you more often. Give compliments to random people you interact with — it’s the easiest way to brighten another person’s day. Plus, by creating positive energy for others, you naturally raise your vibration.
- Each day think of 3 things you are grateful for and share them with a friend or loved one. You can also keep your items to yourself. These can be as small or large as you want! Concentrating on the things we so easily take for granted, like the Breath or a beautiful day, also cultivates mindfulness.
- Challenge yourself to spend one a day a week aware of complaining and criticizing thought processes. Any time a negative thought pops up, commit to coming up with a positive one to follow.
- Meditate on the blessings in your life. You can listen to a recent podcast episode on the deeply restorative nature of gratitude meditation here.
Whether you are local to Grand Rapids and can join me at my East Town office The Healing Space or you are somewhere else in the world. Allow me to guide you in this experience of transformative healing.
All of my Breathwork sessions are combined with Reiki Energy Therapy, Crystals, a Holistic Health Consultation & recommendations in-between sessions with healing tools so you can continue empowering your own journey. Learn more about my in-person + virtual offerings HERE.